Nurses have one of the most challenging, yet rewarding, jobs. They are there during the most critical times, guiding people from birth all the way through the end of life. For all their compassion and sacrifice, they deserve accolades, praise and gratitude, which is why we celebrate nurses in May.
Each year we honour nurses on International Nurses Day, which is May 12, the birthday of nursing pioneer Florence Nightingale. And in Canada, it’s a weeklong celebration. This year’s National Nursing Week is May 6-12.
The 2019 theme is Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Health for All, which was created by the International Council of Nurses (ICN).
According to ICN, “A Voice to Lead” embodies the fact that all nurses have a story that has the potential to improve and change our health care system so individuals and communities can attain peak health. The second half, “Health for All” means not just the actual availability of health care services, but a holistic state of physical and mental health that allows an individual to lead a fulfilling life.
Why Do We National Celebrate National Nursing Week?
While we can celebrate nurses every day, National Nursing Week gives the public the opportunity to thank and honour all nurses whether they work in hospitals, physicians’ offices, outpatient care facilities, schools, clinics, skilled nursing facilities or in-home care. Nurses are integral to their patient’s health and well-being — from setting up IV infusions to making sure they are comfortable and content.
How You Can Honor a Nurse
While their workplace will most likely be handing out cookie platters and water bottles, there are many ways you can show your appreciation to the nurse in your life:
- Bring them a healthy snack or lunch in a reusable container.
- Give them a card detailing how thankful you are for the care you received or for the care they give to others.
- On social media, tell others how amazing nurses are using the hashtags #voicetolead, #IND2019 and #NationalNursingWeek.
- Help them with self-care such as sending a gift card to get a massage or just brighten their day with a fun new pair of scrubs or scrub cap.
- Ask if a therapy animal could visit them and their co-workers.
- Take an exercise class together such as yoga — your treat.
Through their boundless energy, nurses make patients feel safe and respected. At ComForCare Home Care, we want to thank all nurses for dedicating their lives to saving the lives of others.